Charles Spencer Breaks Silence After BBC Apologizes and Pays Princess Diana’s Secretary ‘Substantial Sum’

217

Charles Spencer Breaks Silence After BBC Apologizes and Pays Princess Diana's Secretary 'Substantial Sum'

The BBC has paid Princess Diana‘s former private secretary, Patrick Jephson, a
“substantial sum” in damages and apologized unreservedly for the
“harm caused to him” over Martin Bashir’s Panorama interview.

After the news broke, Diana’s brother Charles Spencer took to Twitter to address the verdict.
“The right result – appalling what Patrick Jephson had to go through as a
result of grotesque ‘journalism’,” he wrote.

“Also terrible that it was covered up for so long by senior people
at the @BBCNews – there will be more to come out on all this, before
long.”

Lord Dyson, a former Master of the Rolls and Head of Civil Justice, was
appointed to look into the circumstances surrounding the explosive 1995
interview, which famously featured Diana saying: “Well, there were three
of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded.”

The investigation was launched after Earl Spencer alleged that Martin
showed him fake financial documents relating to his sister’s former private
secretary and another former royal household member, and told outlandish and
untrue stories about the royal family to gain access to the princess.

Nearly 23 million people watched Princess Diana's Panorama interview

Nearly 23 million people watched Princess Diana’s Panorama interview

The documents falsely suggested the individuals were being paid for
keeping the princess under surveillance.

In a statement, the BBC said on Thursday: “The BBC accepts and
acknowledges that serious harm was caused to Commander Jephson as a result of
the circumstances in which the 1995 interview with Diana, Princess of Wales,
was obtained, which have become apparent as a result of the Dyson Report.

“The BBC apologizes unreservedly to Commander Jephson for the harm
caused to him and has paid his legal costs. The BBC has also paid Commander
Jephson a substantial sum in damages, which he intends to donate in full to
British charities nominated by him.”

Patrick, who was previously Diana’s private secretary, said in a
statement to the PA news agency: “After more than twenty-five years, it is
a relief finally to reach a conclusion to this painful episode.

“I am grateful to Lord Dyson and the journalists whose tenacity has
brought the truth to light, and I now look forward to donating the damages I
have been awarded to Tŷ Hafan, the hospice for children in Wales, in memory of
the late Diana, Princess of Wales.”

 

Previous articleThe Duchess of York Meets Ukrainian Refugees In Poland During Heartbreaking Visit
Next articleZara and Mike Tindall Share Passionate Kiss At Cheltenham Festival
Mr Priceless
A young person with a passion for success and excellence to develop a professional career that encourages empowerment in the overall development of a person which is achieved through hard work. A Journalist with facts and a difference; standing by the truth all the time with interests in Science & Technology, Health, Celebrities' Lifestyle, Crimes, Education and Career Improvement.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here