Couple enjoying holiday in Egypt DIED of carbon monoxide poisoning after room next door was fumigated for bedbugs


A British couple died in Egypt from carbon monoxide poisoning after the next-door hotel room was sprayed with pesticide to kill bedbugs, an inquest has ruled.

What happened

John Cooper and Susan Cooper, from Lancashire, fell ill while on a family holiday in Hurghada on 21 August 2018.

An inquest heard the next-door room had been fumigated following a report of a bedbug infestation.

James Adeley, senior coroner said the couple were poisoned overnight.

How it happened

Mr Cooper, 69, and his wife, 63, had been enjoying a ‘brilliant’ holiday while staying at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel, Preston Coroner’s Court heard.

But around lunch time on the eighth day into their holiday the room next to theirs, which had an adjoining locked door between them, was fumigated with pesticide, known as Lambda, for a bedbug infestation.

The room was then sealed with masking tape around the door.

Daughter found parents seriously ‘ill’

Hours later the couple returned to their room for the night but were found seriously ill the next day by their daughter, Kelly Ormerod.

Mr Cooper, a builder, was declared dead in the room and Mrs Cooper, a cashier in a Thomas Cook bureau de change, hours later in hospital.

READ ALSO: British gran, 83, SPLITS from Egyptian toyboy husband, 37 – and replaces him with cat

The inquest heard in some countries the pesticide Lambda is sometimes diluted with another substance, dichloromethane, which causes the body to metabolise or ingest carbon monoxide.

Official cause of death revealed

Following a three-day inquest hearing, Dr James Adeley, senior coroner for Lancashire, ruled the deaths, on 21 August 2018, were caused by carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of inhaling the vapour from spraying the pesticide which contained dichloromethane.

At the time of their deaths, Thomas Cook removed all of its customers from the hotel.

Previous articleMaine mass shooting victims and families signal intent to SUE after officials missed red flags
Next articleUS veteran receives the world’s FIRST eye transplant
Ola Alabi
Ola Moses is a certified writer, He writes technically and creatively. He is the CEO of WORDSWORTH, a house where writing is made easier for all. He is a content creator at EsB TV, since 2019. He is a young man that showcases professionalism in all that he does, he was announced as Child and Green Foundation Person of the Year 2018, one of his many lists of honours.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here