Julius Berger formally HANDS over N336 billion Second Niger bridge to FG

513

Contractor of the Second Niger Bridge, Julius Berger, have officially handed over the Second Niger Bridge to the Federal Government.

The 1.6 kilometres long bridge estimated to cost 336 billion, links Anambra and Delta states.

When the project was launched

The project was launched on May 23, 2023, but, there were ancillary roads and other construction works that needed to be done after the inauguration.

In a short ceremony held at the toll area of the bridge over the weekend, Minister of Works Dave Umahi expressed approval of the project.

Approval of second Niger bridge

Umahi said that the bridge is open to concession for any private company prepared to finish all associated roads, handle toll collection, and recover their investments.

‘The roads are going to be completed when we have completed the two interchanges: one is taking us off from Asaba town to cut off the traffic, and the other one is going to be done by Reynolds Construction Company Ltd to avoid Onitsha town and take you straight to Obosi,’ he said.

For his part, the Managing Director, of Julius Berger Nigeria Plc, Lars Richter, said the handover was just a technical one.

‘The Main Second Niger Bridge has been completed. The toll stations are also ready for use,’ Lars said.

READ ALSO: Man SUFFERS great loss and had to relocate to Nigeria from Canada after his wife ‘falsely accused him of r@pe’

The idea of constructing the Second Niger Bridge emerged in 1978/79, with Shehu Shagari, then a candidate for the National Party of Nigeria (NPN), championing the proposal.

Other governments have since then tried to start, but didnt go ahead. The bridge opened for local traffic on December 15, 2022.

To accommodate the ongoing construction of connecting roads, temporary routes have been established, ensuring the bridge’s accessibility during the Christmas holidays.

Currently, there are no toll fees for crossing the bridge.

Previous articleNew China Virus revealed as ‘Covid-like’ spreads from China to Europe: See its THREE symptoms
Next articleSinger Cassie SPOTTED with her husband Alex Fine for the first time since settling $30M abuse lawsuit against ex Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs
Ola Alabi
Ola Moses is a certified writer, He writes technically and creatively. He is the CEO of WORDSWORTH, a house where writing is made easier for all. He is a content creator at EsB TV, since 2019. He is a young man that showcases professionalism in all that he does, he was announced as Child and Green Foundation Person of the Year 2018, one of his many lists of honours.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here