A photo agency involved in an alleged New York City car chase with Harry and Meghan has reportedly refused to hand over images of the couple, according to spokesman for the Sussexes.
The couple and Meghan’s mother Doria Raglandat suffered the ‘near catastrophic car chase at the hands of a ring of highly aggressive paparazzi’.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are reportedly demanding the picture agency involved in the ‘near catastrophic car chase’ give them its pictures.
The letter, which the celebrity picture agency said it got from the pair’s legal team on Thursday, reportedly said: ‘We hereby demand that Backgrid immediately provide us with copies of all photos, videos, and/or films taken last night by the freelance photographers after the couple left their event and over the next several hours.’
Backgrid rejected the couple’s demands after the incident in New York on Tuesday night, telling them that Americans ‘long ago rejected royal prerogative’.
Backgrid said it had replied with a letter reading: ‘In America, as I’m sure you know, property belongs to the owner of it: Third parties cannot just demand it be given to them, as perhaps Kings can do.
‘Perhaps you should sit down with your client and advise them that his English rules of royal prerogative to demand that the citizenry hand over their property to the Crown were rejected by this country long ago. We stand by our founding fathers.
He added: ‘This relentless pursuit, lasting over two hours, resulted in multiple near collisions involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians, and two NYPD officers.’
Paparazzi deny there were any near-crashes, while the New York Police Department said ‘numerous photographers’ made the couple’s journey ‘challenging’ but there were ‘no reported collisions, summonses, injuries, or arrests’.
Back in the UK, Harry is seeking the go-ahead from the High Court to secure a judicial review over a decision that he should not be allowed to pay privately for his protective security.
And a friend of the couple told the i-newspaper that the couple believe the incident in New York is evidence that they should be able to pay privately for police protection.
The friend said: ‘This is a clear demonstration that Harry and Meghan are in a different category to other celebrity couples and command far greater attention.
‘For them to be banned by the British Government from paying for expert police protection is just a ludicrous situation and one Harry is clearly confident of overturning in court.’
But a senior Home Office source also told the newspaper that the Government was confident that the New York incident would not affect its case.
The Duke and Duchess had been at the Ms Foundation For Women’s 50th anniversary gala event.
It was Harry and Meghan’s first public appearance together since the Duchess missed the King’s coronation on May 6.