The undergraduates decide to put cheese and bread in the toaster, turn it on its side and leave it unattended, causing a huge fire – trying to make a cheese toastie by following a dangerous ‘hack’ from TikTok.
Four fire engines were called to the ground-floor flat at the University of Greenwich’s Avery Hill campus in south-east London.
According to DailyMail, more than two dozen firefighters from four different stations battled to bring the blaze under control, but not before destroying much of the kitchen.
Luckily no one was injured, but the fire brigade has issued a warning to people not to try the same stunt.
Footage on TikTok teaches people to make cheese toasties with the toaster on its side – but fire experts warn you shouldn’t use the toaster that way.
More than two dozen firefighters from four different stations battled to bring the blaze under control, but not before destroying much of the kitchen.
A London Fire Brigade (LFB) spokesperson said: ‘Part of the ground floor of a three-storey block was damaged by fire.
‘The fire started after a resident placed a toaster on its side and inserted bread and cheese. They then left it cooking unattended.
‘Only use electrical products for their designated use. Toasters need to be kept clean to prevent fires and are not designed to be used on their side.
‘Not only does it generate heat onto the work surface but the dry left-over crumbs from the bottom of the toaster can get onto the hot elements and ignite.
‘It’s also really important that you always check toasters and other appliances are turned off and unplugged when not in use, unless they’re designed to be left on, like your fridge or freezer.
‘Keep clutter to a minimum on your kitchen work surfaces especially near toasters and hobs as they can accidentally switch them on or catch fire.’