VIRUS: 4-year-old boy becomes the fourth child and the second to die in UK from Strep A in less than a week

85

This morning, it was confirmed that a fourth primary school pupil in the UK has died of Strep A bacterial infection.

Strep A is a bacterial infection which affects the throat and skin. Although most cases only cause mild illness, some can be life-threatening and lead to scarlet fever.

Victoria Primary School in Penarth, Wales, where a primary school pupil died from a Strep A infection earlier this week

Even last week, the pupil known as Hanna Roap, who attended Victoria Primary School in Penarth, Wales, died after contracting Strep A last week.

The tragedy of the 4-year-old that was confirmed this morning is the third one –the news comes after a two primary school pupils, one in Wales and another in Surrey, died of invasive Strep A less than a week apart.

Though there is no indication that the four deaths are in any way related but we should be warned of this invasive virus.

The UKHSA North West London Health Protection Team emailed local GPs to warn of the spread of numerous viral infections within local primary school age groups.

Dr Yimmy Chow, health protection consultant at the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), said: “We are extremely saddened to hear about the death of a child at St John’s Primary School, and our thoughts are with their family, friends and the school community.

“Working with Ealing Council public health team, we have provided precautionary advice to the school community to help prevent further cases and we continue to monitor the situation closely.

“Group A streptococcal infections usually result in mild illness, and information has been shared with parents and staff about the signs and symptoms.

“These include a sore throat, fever and minor skin infections and can be treated with a full course of antibiotics from the GP.

“In rare incidences, it can be a severe illness and anyone with high fever, severe muscle aches, pain in one area of the body and unexplained vomiting or diarrhoea should call NHS 111 and seek medical help immediately.”

Strep A can be transmitted through close contact, such as kissing or touching.

Share this Story

Previous articleVladimir Putin fell down stairs at his home and soiled himself
Next articleToddler boy is eaten alive by a crocodile in front of his injured father
Ola Alabi
Ola Moses is a certified writer, He writes technically and creatively. He is the CEO of WORDSWORTH, a house where writing is made easier for all. He is a content creator at EsB TV, since 2019. He is a young man that showcases professionalism in all that he does, he was announced as Child and Green Foundation Person of the Year 2018, one of his many lists of honours.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here